Monday, November 2, 2015

Matthew Scordino, magician of software from Valdelsa to London from … – gonews

The last event in the month of October with the Tuscans in the Giro. This time we go back to London via Valdelsa to tell the story of a computer engineer from Poggibonsi, Matthew Scordino, who after graduating from their university of Pisa has found fortune in the City. We read his card and his account to better understand him.

Name: Matthew Scordino
Years : 33
Raised in Poggibonsi
Studies: Computer Engineering in Pisa
Residence and profession: London – Design Manager Software in a startup of wearable devices
Jobs in Italy: Designer software to display aeronautical, then for the Oil & amp; Gas
First experience abroad: The thesis at NXP Semiconductors, Eindhoven

Why did you decide to go abroad?

In part because I always had the ‘rut’ turn: since I finished high school I no longer lived in Poggibonsi, despite my often you visited. I also tried to go to university in Japan, in Osaka, but I went to the hole. The one that broke the camel was a series of coincidences: the offer of an adventure in a startup founded by a former colleague came together in a big accident on the snowboard that kept me in bed a month and a half. In that period of detention have accumulated so much hatred for the stasis that then I started to skyrocket, shortly after started to walk!

What are the main differences between the world of Work Italian and foreign markets?

For me it is a bit ‘difficult to make a direct comparison because both expatriation are also gone from a corporate environment in a startup peers. This means that flexibility is complete (times non-existent, for better or for worse, the holidays are unlimited and discretion, but it is also OK to 4 am, when needed) and that responsibility is total: if we go wrong, go to ‘air, to which all work feeling a direct holding in the company. What I can say is that I do not imagine a company like ours to be born and grow in the same way in Italy; since I arrived (a year ago) we went from 4 to 24 people, with private investments and few paperwork. As an example, a paycheck here is composed of 2 lines. In Italy were 2-sided.

The life and work abroad are different from the idea that you had done before you leave?

Not much, I had a pretty good idea; for the thesis I had done an internship in the Netherlands when I was in college, so I had already had contact with the world of work “not Mediterranean”. What I did not expect is the variety of people of different professions and with which I am working on a daily basis, the effect of “silos” is null and I happen to work with creative engineers, neuro-scientists, marketing experts; coming from a purely industrial work environment, seems a playground!

What do you miss about Italy?

Family friends before anything else. I love our food, our beauty, but the variety of living in a different place me enough to compensate. What we do not have easily compensates people away.

Would you go back to work in Italy?

Interesting work would, I am sure; work experience I’ve had in Italy is almost entirely positive. I was fortunate to work on interesting projects, to have leaders and colleagues whom I admire and from whom I learned technically and, often, even to give some tidying up to my character. At work, for example, they were created friendships that endure after years of separation. Back now, though it would make sense; here I have a job that I love and economically would be a discreet step back. In addition, the “rut of turn” there yet!

Do you have any anecdotes about study abroad?

Several, some unique. Typically the inexhaustible source of anecdotes, living in a city like London multicolored, is the meeting of cultural differences. In our company we have at the moment 18 different passports, so happen to teach a Brazilian who “supercazzola” is a name more than legitimate for a new project yet to be baptized. Or find that fellow Pakistani, while viewing the Ramadan, hanging posters of cakes and ice cream in the face of near Arabia to induce him into temptation and share the pain of fasting. Recently I can think of a marriage between friends the Swedes, for me, the only Italian among 80 Vikings, it was a fair customs amazing. To name a few: shot of brandy into the church along with the launch of the rice; the groom and the bride must keep watch, because all people have the right to kiss the bride if he does not watch (and vice versa); the existence of a “master brindisaio”, which monitors the correct sequence of 80 speeches, followed by 80 toasts shouting “skål.”

If you want to add something you, your history, you can bring out curious details in the article.

A detail of English culture in which I will adapt easily is the clear sense of being European. And ‘common to hear “I have a friend who lives in Europe,” “ah, true, in Europe do so …” For me, every time is a little shiver; I would like to hear a European in every way. I wish I could specify that an Italian a bit ‘as they are now specifically a Tuscan more by color than by law. The fact that the English culture does not feel this common identity makes me feel a bit ‘more foreign than I’d like …

->  back to top

Tell notes or errors on this page

->

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment